Root Canal Therapy
Root Canal Therapy West Ryde
Do you suffer from a painful toothache or highly sensitive teeth? Your root canal may be infected.
When the nerve of a tooth is affected by decay, infection, or trauma, it may become painful, extra sensitive, or begin to change colour. In such cases, your West Ryde dentist may recommend root canal treatment.
At My Local Dentists West Ryde, our root canal therapy is comfortable and effective. If the pain affects your daily routine, the best thing you can do is to see us as soon as possible. The sooner you visit My Local Dentists West Ryde, the more quickly you will feel better and pain-free again.
How Root Canal Treatment Helps
The root canal procedure may sound painful, but in reality the procedure aims to eliminate the pain that results from toothache and infection. In fact, root canal treatment is one of the most effective ways to relieve some kinds of dental pain.
Root canal treatment is necessary if infection reaches the pulp tissue of a tooth. When the pulp (or nerve) of the tooth has been affected, it is essential to remove all the debris and sterilize the canal, and then fill the canal with a material to prevent future infections. This procedure alleviates the pain by removing the pulp layer of the damaged tooth.
The Process of Root Canal Treatment
- The dentist will take an X-ray of the affected tooth to see the shape of the root canals and check for any signs of infection in the surrounding bone
- To start the procedure, the dentist will use a local anaesthesia to numb the area near the affected tooth
- The dentist will place a rubber dam around the tooth to keep the area dry
- The dentist will drill an access hole into the tooth to remove the infected pulp and bacteria
- Using root canal files, the dentist will clean and shape the root canal. The dentist may use water or sodium hypochlorite periodically to flush way the debris
- After the cleaning procedure, the dentist will then seal the tooth.
- The final step is the restoration of the tooth with a filling or dental crown
Root Canal treatment can have two types. The first one, non-surgical, is quite similar to a deep filling. Your dentists will drill farther than a simple tooth filling, to access the pulp.
However when the infection is too severe and the fracture or the source of pain wasn’t distinguished during the digital X-ray, surgical root canal is advised. An incision in the gum is made to access the canal.
Since the latter is a surgical procedure and could have risks, it is important to seek second opinion from an equally qualified health practitioner.
Root Canal Therapy in West Ryde
All root canals at My Local Dentists West Ryde are completed under a rubber dam to ensure the root canal remains isolated and sterile. A combination of files, irrigation, and medication are used to then complete the preparation of the tooth.
At My Local Dentists West Ryde, we use the latest technology, including apex locators and rotary files, to ensure minimal trauma and time spent in the dental chair. X-rays are also taken at the completion of your root canal procedure.
A well-performed root canal therapy allows a tooth to function normally, saving it from extraction. Root canal procedure has a documented success rate of over 90%. The entire treatment is performed under local anaesthetic, so you will feel comfortable and painless throughout the procedure.
Root Canal Therapy in West Ryde
Call (02) 9000 1283 or visit us at Shop 20 West Ryde Marketplace 14 Anthony Road in West Ryde.